Thursday, January 15, 2009

WHO Are Those Kids? WHAT Are They?

Tilt your head and enjoy!


My kids have asked about the picture at the top of the blog in the slideshow box over and over again. Who are those kids? Why do they have that stuff on their faces? Why do they look like THAT? Because ultimately my kids are the ones I am writing these stories for, I am going to address their questions in today's post. You're welcome Kate.


My mom and dad both worked outside the home while we were growing up. They were busy providing for us. Halloween would sneak up on them every year. My mom would look horrified when she walked in the door after work and we would bombard her with, "Moooooom, what are we going to dress up as? It will be dark in an hour!"
My dad stepped up more than once to "save" the day (or night). This year, the one in the picture, he scrambled around, pillaged through all our stuff, and convinced us that it would be "fun" and "cool" to dress up as a Hunch-backed Pirate Vampire and a Pregnant Housewife Clown. Really. That is what we are supposed to be. My daddy said it all with a straight face. Bryan and I went along with his wacky scheme (read: last minute save). We dressed up as those weird "characters" for Halloween. I have the pictures to prove it. While other kids were dressing up as Gumby or Wonder Woman or the Six Million Dollar Man, Bryan and I were demented creatures that I couldn't even explain to my kids. Kate still doesn't get it.


Here is the moral to my cautionary tale, don't take a picture if you think you may have to explain it later! You never know when it will used against you in cyberspace :0

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Growing up in a Klungreseter household at times could be unbeliveabley CRAZY!!!!!Your Dad's ability to make a costume out of nothing is something that was passed down to us by your Grandma Birthday.When her boy's were growing up money was tight so she had to be inventive.I think out of the five of us your Dad is definetly the most creative.

Reilly Fitzpatrick said...

okay "anonymous"! who are YOU? uncle karl? aunt ingrid? uncle john? uncle eric? nah. fess up!

Reilly Fitzpatrick said...

DADDY! are you just trying to save face? you KNOW it was WRONG to make your son a crazy psycho pirate. admit it. own it. you know it! :0

and now this! pretending you are your sibling just to share some random excuse for your last-minute tactics. for shame! dragging grandma birthday's good name into this. i am ON to you daddy! "anonymous"! humph! :)

Reilly Fitzpatrick said...

i will grant you that growing up in the Klungreseter household could be unbelievably CRAZY! except you forgot to specify WHICH Klungreseter household--hee, hee :0

Reilly Fitzpatrick said...

i will grant you that growing up in the Klungreseter household could be unbelievably CRAZY! except you forgot to specify WHICH Klungreseter household--hee, hee :0

Anonymous said...

I was not trying to be sneaky,I to am tecno challenged.This is Aunt Ingrid.Don't hold it against your Daddy because he inheirited our Mother's ability to make something out of stuff around the house and then convince us all that that was the way it was supposed to be!I guess we were lucky not to have picture records of some of our costumes.Then again,I wish there was pictures!Peace and Love to you all!

Reilly Fitzpatrick said...

oops! i hope my daddy is more techno-challenged than you, aunt Ingy! i am in trouble! :0

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
This is Jessica. I think some of the best costumes we ever had were the ones that mom and dad pulled out of their minds. I remember being a hobo-clown one year. Hahaha!!!!! I wish we could convince our kids to be some crazy made up thing. It would be great fun (and save money also). I love you cousin and I have really good pics on my camera of the kids on the 10th. I'll have Ingrid call you for your address so I can send you a couple. (especially the one of Peter screaming and trying to escape) Love you again and hope to see you all soon.

WARNING! Tissues Required-Video Slideshow of Bryan's Life-Sorry the music was muted!