Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Bench or the Bump?

Initially, I thought that I would add a post everyday of this long, first year without Bryan so that I would be able to publish it in December for my kids as a Christmas Gift--The Many Adventures of Uncle B. It has been therapeutic, cathartic, healing to focus on all the blessings we shared instead of dwelling on our great loss. I thought I would systematically, chronologically go through my memory and share winter memories, then valentine's ones, springtime remembrances, summertime tales, you get the idea. But my brain does not work that way--so sorry! So you get the random, no-rhyme or reason version...I have been waking up every night with a new story, and my best friend finally recommmeded that I scribble them down on a notepad beside my bed so I would not fear forgetting them in the morning. Great idea, except that I keep waking Bob when I turn on the light to record my nocturnal entries. But I bet I have more than enough stories to keep us all chuckling in 2009! Bear with me friends, and hop on the roller coaster ride!
**I need to include this one caveat: my parents were recently expressing their concern that my stories would no longer be corroborated by Bryan (who was noted for a MUCH better memory than me) for accuracy. So, to assuage their fears, THIS DAY, I do solemnly give my sincere OATH to tell the TRUTH, as best as I can remember it. No Klungreseter-style embellishment! This is only fair since Bryan can't chime in and correct me. :)**
I don't know how old we were, but Bryan and I used to fight over who was going to get the back seat bench of my dad's classy, tricked-out company car--a cadillac--when we were on long drives from our Ontario home to San Pedro. You see, this was well before the seat belt laws and since there only two of us--when we fell asleep on the drive home, the lucky one on us could stretch out on the long leather bench seat and be cozy. The unlucky one of us would have to stuff sweatshirts, napkins, shoes and other stuff on either side of those annoying bumps that separated the back seat feet-wells--attempting to even out the spot for a snooze. Remember, these were the old days. The bump made this NOT a cozy spot.
Bryan was one of those "peacemaker", "it's not that big of a deal", "why make a fuss" easy-going kinda-guys. And well, I am not (a guy or that type). So guess who usually "slept" with the bump? Oh for all the times I took advantage of the HUGE heart of yours little brother! I want to learn to gladly give others the bench while I cheerfully endure the bump. Thanks for teaching me the value of letting others have their way--I bet you are sleeping easy tonight. John 15:13

1 comment:

Elizabeth Rose said...

I love reading your blog. The stories you have of your brother is so precious. You have been blessed beyond measure to have such a brother in your life. I also love how you share your heart and what God is teaching you all as you walk with Him through this journey of your life. You are in our prayers. We love you...Limon's

WARNING! Tissues Required-Video Slideshow of Bryan's Life-Sorry the music was muted!