Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Spooky Stories

I do not want to tell a story this morning. I would rather hear one of Bryan's. He is a stellar storyteller; his stories always got better with each telling. But that is not an option today. So here goes:

Bryan called a few months ago and said he was headed to our house, he had "treats", and he wanted me to get the house ready for "spooky stories". His detailed directions required that we start a fire, get a bunch of candles going around our big table, and put the hot cocoa on. We were all ready when Uncle B showed up to weave his tale.

He started out a little "too spooky" for his audience (my kids think the stepsisters in Cinderella are too scary--and that cat! NO WAY!). So Uncle B made some last minute modifications. He basically retold the Goonies story (remember that one, eighties babies?) adding his niece's and nephew's names, pirates, and a bunch of well-placed Krispy Kreme donuts in a cave in Temecula. It was hilarious! Bob was howling! I wish I had recorded it (there are lots of things I wish I had done). The kids were squealing and sitting anxiously on the edge of their seats --waiting for the final thrilling conclusion (B had to keep telling them that it would all end well!). And it did.

Maybe someday we will show our kids Goonies and the bubble will burst and they will realize that their Uncle just re-did an already-done story. But for now, they believe their Uncle B was the most talented, amazing, humorous, exciting guy they knew.

On second thought, maybe I won't show them that old movie afterall. Bryan's version was better anyway. You will always be one of the most talented, amazing, humorous, exciting guys I knew. I miss you.

No comments:

WARNING! Tissues Required-Video Slideshow of Bryan's Life-Sorry the music was muted!