Monday, January 5, 2009

"If You Wanna Be Happy for the Rest of Your Life..."

Bryan and Kelly-T-Bird Diner-January 1993

Bryan was 19, he'd turn 20 the next month. It was Christmas Break and I was home from Chico State where I was going to college. Bryan worked at a bustling '50's diner in Escondido called T-Bird Diner. He loved that place--the waitresses in buffon hairdos and roller skates, the classic T-Bird in the middle of the restaurant, the menu, the music, the entire gig was right up Bryan's alley.

So after my Bridal Shower, it was only natural that we end up there to continue the celebration--where guys could be included. Bob and I would marry in three months during Easter Break (what college kids will do to be together!). I would turn 21 three days after our April 3rd wedding. But Bob was still in Chico and I was spending my last visit home as daughter and sister. I thought it would be sweet to have dinner at T-Bird since my brother was working. So sentimental! My roomies, some Escondido buddies, my family all crowded around the table and we had a blast giving Bryan and his waitresses a run for their money.

A '50's Diner would not be authentic if it did not have a jukebox. T-Bird had a classic one filled with great oldies and other tunes. Bryan knew the lyrics to all the songs. He knew the lyrics to most songs...even ones written 25 years before he was born. It was a tender moment when he announced that he had a "SPECIAL REQUEST". He had a song prompted to play throughout the diner, "This one is for my new brother, Bob. He can't be here today. But this one is for him. He and my big sister are getting married!" His mischievous grin should have been my first clue!

Immediately, my sappy mind went to Van Morrison's "Brown-Eyed Girl" or Phil Collins "Groovy Kinda Love"--these would be so appropriate, so sentimental. What special moment had my younger brother planned for me, in front of my family and friends? I was so excited to hear his choice! When Jimmy Soul started singing, I knew I was in trouble. You know what song it was!

"If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife. If you want my personal point of view, get an ugly girl to marry you!"

Well, bro. I guess you were right all along. Bob and I are still happily married after all these years. Thanks for the "blushing bride" moment! You twirp! I should not have been surprised, you were my pesky little brother after all!


2 comments:

Elizabeth Rose said...

What a fun story to remember. Sounds like you two had alot of fun together. I have to say that song is definitely NOT yours and Bob's story because he married a girl with true beauty...a godly woman who fears the Lord...you are beautiful Kelly!

Becky said...

Oh my goodness!!! I totally forgot about that night. You forgot to mention how many shades of red you turned. Bryan sure liked to tease you, especially when you were with us girls.

WARNING! Tissues Required-Video Slideshow of Bryan's Life-Sorry the music was muted!