Monday, March 16, 2009

"I'm Your Huckleberry"

I know I said yesterday was the beginning of a series on Christmas stories--but I changed my random mind. One of my daughter's friends was here today for co-op. On her t-shirt were the words "I'm Your Huckleberry!" She did not know what it meant, she just liked the shirt. It had one of those cute Little Mister caricatures along with the line.


Val Kilmer utters the line: "I'm your huckleberry." in the showdown scene of Tombstone. It is the best line in the movie, the best portrayal of Doc Holliday in Hollywood (in my humble opinion :). Bryan loved old westerns (like the rest of my family, he has seen EVERY John Wayne movie made). When Tombstone came out in 1993, Bryan raved about this retelling and we all went to see it. Even though the plot is about Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday was Bryan's favorite character. He plagiarized the tag line, "I'm your huckleberry." Whenever I see those words it makes me think of Bryan, not Val Kilmer.


Bryan borrowed other movie lines and made them his own: "Skadoosh!", "Anyone? Anyone?", "It's but a flesh wound.", "My name Indigo Montoya. You killed my father, now prepare to die." Actually there are so many as my mind fills up with them that I cannot list them all here. Nor can I promise to remember them all. He had an uncanny memory. He reused quotes from Brave Heart and Aladdin equally well. Bryan was just a real funny fellow.





Verse for the Day:
March 16, 2009
John 11:40
"Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?"

Bryan believed, is he seeing the glory of God at this very moment? I rejoice for him tonight. Thank you Jesus, for those exhilarating words. And for allowing my brother to see your glory by Your grace alone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bryan is Jesus' Huckleberry now:-)

Mom

Anonymous said...

What a vision that is.I like thinking Bryan is Huckleberry for Jesus!Peace & Love-Aunty Ingy

Anonymous said...

I remember when Tombstone first hit the theaters and my boss at the time John Santillo took myself and Dean Bradshaw,another co-worker to see it in the middle of a work day cuz he said it was the greatest cowboy movie ever! He was right and I took Bryan to see it that same week and it became one of our all time favorite movies. I can recall as we both railed against the establishment as they cheated Val Kilmer out of the oscar he so richly deserved for his truly remmarkable turn as Doc Holiday. He stole every single scene he was in.Bryan could quote line after line of that movie and I'll always remember when he told me, "I'll be your huckleberry,Pops!"

WARNING! Tissues Required-Video Slideshow of Bryan's Life-Sorry the music was muted!