Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Christmas Carols

Bryan loved Christmas carols. This morning Reilly asked me which carol was my favorite. I couldn't pick just one. They are among my most beloved music--the old Christmas carols that tell His story. Christ-exalting lyrics, beautiful music. How can I pick just one? As I type she is pounding out Hark The Herald Angels Sing, attempting to learn the notes and make lovely music.






Bryan did have a favorite carol to listen to: Little Drummer Boy. I have included it on the playlist below. Jars of Clay sang his favorite version. Enjoy. I added a few other songs I know he liked (even Bing Crosby singing White Christmas!). His favorite song to sing was O Holy Night. I will miss hearing him sing it this year. Through the years our families gathered at my mother-in-love's home to sing carols around her piano. I love those memories. Bryan joined us once or twice and I can still picture him belting out that song. And eating German Rouladen until he was sick! Steak and bacon wrapped pickles will do it to you! Weird. There is no accounting for other people's tastes.





If you usually mute the playlist at the bottom while reading here, you might change your mind when you hear the delightful collection there. God has always "spoken" to my heart through music. I rejoice when I think of Bryan joining the angels in Heaven singing these songs to his Savior this Christmas.






Who knew that O Holy Night's last refrain included such moving lyrics:








Truly He taught us to love one another,
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains he shall break, for the slave he is our brother.
And in his name, all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
With all our hearts we praise His holy name.
Christ is the Lord! Then ever, ever praise we,
His power and glory ever more proclaim!
His power and glory ever more proclaim!




I included a more modern rendition of O Holy Night on the playlist. It won't be the same as listening to Bryan's beautiful baritone voice raised in song. And it does not include all the words to the carol. Such a shame! Let me know if you have a version that is more traditional which includes the refrain above. I'd like that.


As a side note, (it is described here in another post) my mom, dad, and I sang O Holy Night--for the first time singing the not-oft-sung verse above--together, weeping and silently praying for my brother on Sunday, December 14, 2008. I have no way of knowing until I get to Heaven if that is the moment the Good Shepherd was carrying His lost lamb home, but I like to believe that it was. It was a blessed moment that I will NEVER forget.
***a little funny PS***The children and I were sitting here listening to the music and three, count 'em THREE, said they simply do NOT care for Bing Crosby's voice. They don't like his version of White Christmas. Since I am recording stuff here that I will want to remember later, that seems like a pertinent fact to include. And funny. Sorry Uncle B. They are young yet.








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly,those two carol's were also among Mom's favorite's.....Peace and Love.....Aunty Ingy

Anonymous said...

Briann's favorite movie is White Christmas and her favorite Christmas carol is O Holy Night. It's something the two of them shared together and was always special

Merry Christmas Kelly.

Kerstin

Anonymous said...

hi kerstin. i didn't find your comment until today. so glad to know that about briann. i had no idea! its a wonderful life and it came upon a midnight clear are my favorites. what are yours?

merry Christmas to you! hugs and love, kelly

Anonymous said...

It's a wonderful life has my vote too! As for songs, Silent Night is my favorite.But truth be know, I like most all of the holiday movies and music......

Dad

WARNING! Tissues Required-Video Slideshow of Bryan's Life-Sorry the music was muted!