Tuesday, September 29, 2009

1,000 Gifts

It is not Monday. Aren't I a clever gal? My mom always says I am a day late and a dollar short! I wandered onto a lovely blog that the Lord has been ministering to me through the writer's simple, true, and lovely words. And music. And photos. The writer has a practice of giving thanks to the Giver for the gifts in her life. On Mondays, she and the rest of her "Gratitude Community" post their additions to an ongoing list of things they are thankful for. Even though I am a day late, I am hooked!
I know this blog is in my brother's memory, I know I am supposed to be telling his stories; remembering his life. That was my original vision. But I find myself spilling over with things to say about how his death has moved me. His death has made me more thankful. And so I stole this gal's great idea, or joined her bandwagon, or jumped on board--whatever you want to call it.
At the bottom of this site, you will find a link that articulates the mission behind her community. Read her words, hear her heart. Feel free to scroll down to my list of One Thousand Gifts--I started my list today. It was so easy because I am so blessed. I found it hard to stop once I got rolling! I caught myself thinking that I wanted to add THIS or THAT to my list. It made me smile. Thank you, stranger friend, for sharing with me a wonderful way to memorialize my grateful heart. And thanks be to God for His indescribable Gift.
38. just called to see how you are" phone calls from my daddy
37. spending afternoons with my mom
36. having so many things to be thankful for! this is addicting!
35. reading my oldest's writing assignments--how did she learn that?
34. good friends and unexpected care packages--I LOVE MAIL! thanks didi :)
33. birthday party planning
32. kind neighbors-when we bought this home, we had no idea it came with such amazing amenities!
31. belting out "In Christ Alone" with my children this morning
30. planning weddings-just do it aunty!
29. spot-eyed puppies--Cooper is so cute!
28. sitting on the front porch and watching kids skate on the first cool day in weeks
27. big 'ole brown eyes and blonde hair
26. singing "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep" with my 2 y/o at naptime
25. haircuts-it is always so nice when someone else blowdries your hair
24. cuddling on the couch and reading aloud from a yummy book
23. meeting kindred spirits in unexpected places--Ann here in cyberspace!
22. little girls who tell me that if i list 25 gifts a day, i will reach 1,000 in 40 days--so thankful to have a math mind reading over my shoulder
21. fresh baked bread for breakfast
20. a hint of Fall in the air
19. grieving with Hope--missing Bryan but knowing he is safe in Jesus' arms and FREE at last
passion
18. best friends-Meredith and secret stories
17. His Spirit, my source of comfort, counsel and power
16. Hope
15. food in our bellies and in our pantries--it is right to be grateful when there is so much hunger in the world
14. employment-so mundane but a gift nevertheless--maybe i should say Provision?
13. new mercies every morning
12. supportive parents who are daily a part of my life
11. precious Peter--a late addition
10.TWINS! Samuel and Aidan
9. middle child-Kate Marie
8. firstborn-Reilly Lee
7. my husband, additional proof that God gives good gifts to His kids
6. Undeserved Mercy, Unmerited Grace (did I say that already?)
5. Relentless Pursuit, Wooing my Faithless Heart
4. His Perfect Word
3. Being Chosen
2. Grace Alone
1. Christ

2 comments:

Elizabeth Rose said...

Kelly, thanks for sharing that website. I LOVE that idea and need to do it. I am going to try and start now, hopefully I keep it up.
I prayed for you today. I was thinking about you and wondering how you're doing. I love to read your blog and hear your heart. Love you.

Reilly Fitzpatrick said...

kellie! you are so dear. i often think no one else ever reads this blog but my darling reilly girl and my mom. i am writing it for them so that is right. but i feel glad when someone (you!) else reads about how amazing my brother was. so thanks for taking the time to read here and leave encouraging comments too. but mostly thanks for your prayers. starting my 1000 gifts list has made me so mindful of all the many blessings i enjoy. a thankful heart is a happy heart :) as madame blueberry would say! love you too sweet friend.

WARNING! Tissues Required-Video Slideshow of Bryan's Life-Sorry the music was muted!